Tuesday, January 3, 2017

A Victory for Sea Turtles! | The US Virgin Islands Banned Plastic Bags

The Virgin Islands is taking a stand for the oceans! On January 1st of 2017 a new law went into effect banning single use plastic bags in the US Virgin Islands. These plastic bags are a huge problem for our oceans and our sealife. Sea Turtles mistake plastic bags for jelly fish (a vital part of their diet). Here is an article about the staggering amount of plastic in the ocean.  I have spent many years of my life almost completely plastic free and would like to share some of my favorite substitutions for disposable plastics.

Reusable tote bags are a must! Choose one that folds up so you can carry it in your purse.
Reusable tote bags are everywhere these days but sometimes they are cheaply made and fall apart so easily that they almost defeat the purpose of something reusable. Also they are easy to forget. I prefer a reusable bag that folds up and fits in my purse. That way I always have it with me. Run Run Run is a great brand that offers reusable bags made out of recycled plastic bags. They are durable and very strong. I am super rough with all of my totes and they really hold up. Run Run Run bags also fold up and snap. This is a great feature for making them easy to remember for shopping. I also really love an organic cotton tote. Always durable, easy to clean and if they end up in the landfill they are completely bio degradeable.

Living free of disposable plastics is easy with the right products!
Beyond single use plastic bags there are several other single use plastics we can reduce from our lives. Zip lock bags are so convenient! Tupperware in a more durable reusable plastic or glass is a great option for storage in your refrigerator but when packing your lunch they can be bulky. Blue Avocado brand has great reusable ziplock bags that are great for storing and traveling with snacks and sandwiches. I really never thought I would find a substitute for a ziplock but I did and they are great!

Reusable water bottles are something we all use these days and hopefully they are helping to curb our habit for buying drinks in plastic bottles. S'well water bottles are great and then there is my favorite water bottle by Life Factory! I just love drinking out of glass because there is no danger of any BPA's leaching into your drinking water. I also like Life Factory's storage containers for food.

Produce bags are a single use plastic bag that we don't really think of. When you buy as many fresh veggies as I do and then you try to go plastic free you quickly realize that you need an alternative for produce bags. Flip & Tumble makes great produce bags! They are light and transparent and very close to using the single use bags. Flip & Tumble also makes great and stylish reusable totes.

Plastic straws are terrible for our oceans. They litter our beaches and are dangerous to sea life. Since we usually only use straws when we eat out the best thing to do is to just opt out.  Make sure you tell your server at restaurants that you DO NOT want a plastic straw. Make it a habit, and recommend doing the same to your friends. If you absolutely love drinking from a straw there are alternatives. I love using my stainless steal straw. Buy one here! They also have glass straws. Check out all these options at Eco Straw.

I will be updating this list whenever I find new products that I feel would be useful to you. I would also love to hear about your favorite disposable plastic alternatives! Coffee cups, water bottles, tote bags, all suggestions are welcome. We have alot of work to do to keep wildife free of the harmful effects of  plastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment